01 December 2008

My first pair of fingerless mitts....


Although I have been knitting since I was a child, it's only over the last year or so that I've been knitting again frequently and enthusiastically!


I am always looking for smaller projects to do, as having a toddler keeps me on my toes and I have to fit in my knitting during nap times and once she's gone to bed. (For the record I have tried knitting whilst she's awake and it ends up with Leah running off with the ball of yarn and me trying to catch her!)
I came across these fingerless mitts on Ravelry and thought I'd give them a go. I am always losing gloves in one way or another and can never find a woolly pair when I need them. These will do just the trick when I take leah for our winter walks, as my fingers are still 'free' to do whatever I need to do to look after a toddler :o)
I have just used some yarn I had in my stash and to be quite honest I think it has done the job - and the fact the yarn is acrylic means they will be able to be washed frequently.
The pattern was too big for me at first - I ended up frogging the first mitt last night and casting on again with 40 stitches instead, which is just the right fit for my small(ish) hands. I didn't think that the cables were coming out that well, but thankfully they look better in the photo. The mitt (I've only made one so far) tookme about 2 hours to knit, so if anyone is looking for some last minute Christmas gifts, I would recommend them. I'm thinking of making Mum a pair for the cold lunchtimes in the playground ;o)

5 comments:

Riikka Johanna said...

Oh they are wonderful!! I wish I was so talented as you in knitting.

I have awarded you! Go have a look at my blog dear. :)

LizzieJane said...

These are lovely, I can't say that I have ever made a pair, maybe I should.
x

Jupops said...

They are lovely and in my queue to do, you may have convinced me!

Annie said...

They look great, dear! I've started on a pair myself, but they aren't nearly as stunning as these!

Huggies!

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful ! I love them !